For this assignment you will need to watch Devdutt Pattanaik’s East vs. West — the myths that mystify. The link is http://www.ted.com/talks/devdutt_pattanaik.html and the video is also available below.
After watching the video I would like you to discuss the following questions:
1) What metaphors does he use to describe the two cultures in this video? Can you list at least 5 (five) for each culture?
2) What idioms (concepts) does he use to describe the two cutures? Can you list at least 5 (five) for each culture?
3) In terms of the work that E.T.Hall did n communications, how would you position the two cultures? Explain your rationale.
4) In terms of the 5 dimensions proposed by Geert Hofstede, how would you place the two cultures on each of the five dimensions? Why? Can you give an example from the video to show why you place these as you suggest? Keep in mind that they do not necessarilly have to be on opposte end of each dimension.
5) What is the view of Pattaniak on the possibility of change in a culture? Why do you hold this view?